Programme Strategy & Implementation
• Oversee the implementation of all of Oxfam’s humanitarian and development programmes and
projects in N. Shan and ensure close coordination and alignment with other Oxfam interventions in
N. Shan/ Kachin State.
• Develop and implement a comprehensive strategy for N. Shan, promoting localization with strong
focus on Community Based Protection, resilience, gender justice, and safe programming.
• Work closely with local partners, build relationship and develop joint programming and strategy.
• Develop capacity building plans for local partners and community-based groups based on the local
context and need.
• Effectively collaborate and strategically influence key stakeholders and humanitarian community in
Shan State to work towards durable solutions for affected communities and the most marginalised
• Represent Oxfam in Shan State and meaningfully engage with other INGOs, UN agencies, and
local civil society
• Guide and oversee technical support to the programme, to drive continual quality improvement and
innovation and ensure that Oxfam is driving change for and with the communities it works with.
• Lead continuous development of analyses for Northern Shan State, including but not limited to,
needs assessments, conflict analyses, protection risk analyses, and gender power analyses
Skill and Competence:
• Previous humanitarian leadership and management experience – at least five years’ experience
working in humanitarian and Development programmes in complex/ sensitive contexts settings.
▪ Degree in development or humanitarian assistance, social science, or other relevant fields; or
equivalent level field experience.
▪ Proven experience with managing large and multisectoral humanitarian or development projects
and programmes – preferable projects funded by large institutional donors such as ECHO, BMZ,
USAID, FCDO etc.
▪ Demonstrated capacity for strategic thinking and ability to respond effectively and strategically to
changing contexts and new challenges.
▪ A strong understanding of, and experience with, risk management.
▪ Strong experience in capacity building and the mentoring of others. Demonstrated high level facilitation,
coaching and mentoring skills.
▪ Sensitivity to cultural differences, and the ability to work effectively and respectfully with people from a
range of background and experiences.
▪ Evidence of knowledge on conflict sensitivity and Do No Harm approaches and how to apply these to
humanitarian programming and in building a strong, collaborative and inclusive team.
▪ A firm commitment to human rights and the centrality of protection in humanitarian action.
▪ Sound understanding of the conflict context and dynamics in Myanmar.
▪ Experience of working with local partners and practical knowledge of good partnership principles.
▪ A strong commitment to gender equality and women’s empowerment and knowledge of how to apply
these to humanitarian work.
▪ High level of people management and strong leadership skills, as well as demonstrated experience in
managing diverse and high performing teams.
▪ Ability to represent Oxfam externally, with international and national actors, with strong diplomatic and
negotiation skills. Experience with advocacy and influencing an asset.
▪ Excellent communication skills, verbal and written, in both English and Myanmar.
▪ Ability and willingness to travel regularly to project sites.