Duties and responsibilities
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so
within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter,
UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant
accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner
consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of
professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
Under the direct supervision of the Associate Public Information/Communication Officer, the incumbent performs
the following duties:
- Contribute to and execute a social media strategy for UNHCR that focuses on primary audiences such
as the general public, media and donors.
- Produce social media content, including photos and short videos that showcase UNHCR’s operational
work that effectively informs and engages external audiences.
- Develop high-impact social media content – including graphics, videos and other multimedia formats –
that effectively informs and engages external audiences and supports media and advocacy campaigns.
- Help ensure that content created reaches maximum impact by supporting the development of strategies
for distribution from the outset, boosting the visibility of out content on relevant UNHCR channels and
placing it on external channels.
- Monitor and where appropriate, moderate comments on social media posts, intervening as appropriate
to answer questions and guide the conversation.
- Collect and analyze social media metrics to gauge reach, engagement and other performance
measures for social media posts, accounts and campaigns, helping to inform results-based decision
making and drive the effective use of resources.
- Strengthen use of UNHCR Myanmar’s core social media account (Facebook), as well as new mediums
- Continually maintain and upgrade communications skills, keeping abreast of emerging platforms and
tools, and systematically reviewing media impact results and other measurement tools for learning
- May be required to assist in implementation of campaigns, events and other initiatives in support of
UNHCR's strategic objectives, including its need for a leading share of voice on refugee and related
- May be required to undertake missions and field trips with media and other official visitors in support of
UNHCR and its work.
- Perform other related duties as required.
4. Minimum Qualifications
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G6 - 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with
Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
- Excellent command of English and Myanmar languages.
- Experience producing, editing and disseminating multimedia content (text, photo and/or video) for online
audiences, ideally for media outlets, international brands, NGOs, or other international institutions.
- Good understanding of multimedia content, including how it can best be produced, packaged, published
and shared on social media.
- Demonstrated ability to write and edit social media posts to a standard high enough for quick review and
- Good understanding of the social media landscape, including trends in new tools and platforms.
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities within specified timeframes.
- Proven skills in communication, strategic thinking, and ability to relate to different audiences.
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office; Adobe Photoshop and/or Adobe Premiere Pro).