Role and responsibilities
1. Always adhere to NRC policies and donor requirements.
2. Implement ICLA activities according to strategy, proposals, budgets and plans/ targets.
3. Involve target communities and community leaders in the planning of activities.
4. Coordinate with relevant partners/ other humanitarian actors and other NRC core competencies
and support departments.
5. Ensure the timely procurement and distribution of materials needed for field activities
according to NRC procedures.
6. Contribute to periodic progress reports and other documents as required.
7. Develop and maintain knowledge of Legal and Civil Documentation (LCD) and Housing, Land
and Property (HLP) rights in order to be effective in his/her work.
8. Use initiative in day to day problem solving in line with agreed ICLA procedures, priorities and
9. Ensure proper filing of documents.
Provide information, counselling, legal assistance and training activities to target communities
in line with NRC policies, strategies and work plan agreed with line manager.
Accurately record all ICLA activities in line with NRC policy and using templates and guidance
provided by NRC.
Provide accurate information on legal and civil documentation (LCD) and housing, land and
property (HLP) rights and entitlements to target beneficiaries in accordance with agreed
Provide accurate legal counselling on LCD and HLP topics within his/her competency and in a
manner that enables ICLA counselling beneficiaries to effectively resolve their LCD and HLP
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results.
They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
1. Professional competencies
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies
Experience of working in legal aid or protection programmes in a humanitarian/recovery IDP/
returnee context preferred
Previous experience of providing information or counselling to vulnerable communities
Previous experience of working in complex and volatile contexts
Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
Fluency in written and oral Burmese
Some knowledge of written and/ or oral English preferred
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
Knowledge or experience of LCD and/ or HLP issues preferred
Knowledge of the local context
Knowledge of languages used in state in which s/he works an asset
Computer literacy and knowledge of software programmes MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint