PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF JOB
The Linux Engineer is responsible for the planning, engineering, and implementation of the server infrastructure. This position covers the implementation and design of hardware and software, and establishing procedures to ensure hardware/software availability and stability. It is also responsible for the documentation and the monitoring of the performance of all systems. This position reports to the System Infrastructure Manager.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- · Install, support, maintain, and develop the server infrastructure:
- · Hardware platforms: Physical servers (Dell, HP, SuperMicro)
- · Operating systems: VMWare, MS Windows Server, Centos, Ubuntu Server, RedHat
- · Core Applications: Mostly UNIX/Linux based
- · Core Services: DNS, Mail, Traffic Manager, O&M tools (backup, logging, NMS)
- · Ensure proper availability of server resources: computing, memory, storage
- · Establish and monitor server infrastructure metrics for performance issues and to troubleshoot problems as they arise.
- · Review and maintain the server specifications related to standard hardware, software and application requirements by analyzing the business and security requirements.
- · Create and maintain all server infrastructure documentation; including downtime records, inventory, procedural documentation, and a disaster recovery plan.
- · Apply updates and service packs to host systems and applications.
- · Define and implement security policies
- · Develop, maintain, and execute comprehensive project plans that relate to the server infrastructure.
- · Remotely support regional data centers and field offices with some travel required.
- · Interact and develop relationships with vendors and other 3rd party contractors to manage projects and secure network products and services.
- · Meets financial requirements by submitting information for budgets and monitoring expenses.
- · Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- · May lead and direct the work of others.
- · Carries out job duties while maintaining Lane values.
- · Other duties as assigned.
· Education: • Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology
- 3– 5 years of experience administering physical and virtual windows environments.
- Advanced knowledge of various server technologies such as server operating systems, virtualization, storage area networks, backup and restore procedures, and cloud computing is required
- Must demonstrate working knowledge of UNIX/Linux technologies and VMWare management.
- Knowledge of best practice backup and recovery procedures.