ICEM – International Centre for Environmental Management is an award-winning independent technical service centre that assists government, private sector and communities to define and implement policies for ecologically sustainable development. Established in Australia 1999, ICEM has its regional headquarters in Hanoi and is staffed by full-time international and national technical and administrative personnel.
ICEM works in Asia and the Pacific - especially in the Mekong countries and focuses on climate change, water resources management, disaster risk management, energy efficiency and renewables, environmental assessment, environmental economics, and biodiversity conservation. ICEM seeks to integrate environmental concerns with development through spatial planning, modelling, socio-economic analysis and environmental assessment tools.
ICEM is currently implementing the Asian Development Bank (ADB) supported project ‘TA-9307 MYA: Strengthening Climate and Disaster Resilience of Myanmar Communities – 2 Package 2: Strengthening Early Warning, Resilient Agriculture and Rural Development’. To support the agrometeorology activities of the project, ICEM is now seeking to employ an Agro-Meteorological Expert (Myanmar national) based in Myanmar on a full-time contract from October 2020 to March 30th 2021.
Reporting to the ICEM Project Manager and Team Leader, the position includes the following tasks:
- Provide technical support to all TA activities on Agro-Meteorology, including support to on-going procurement of new agro-met stations for Department of Meteorology and Hydrology (DMH), as well as leading DMH and Department of Agriculture (DOA) capacity building, data review and consolidation, tool development, piloting new approaches and documentation;
- Attend and contribute to consultative meetings and workshops with stakeholders as required;
- Take part in team meetings, developing presentations, resource materials and written comment on the approach and methodology, activities and outputs of the project;
- Work closely with the International Agro-meteorological Specialist and DRM and Rural Development International Specialist to ensure high quality delivery of project activities and outputs; and
- Reporting regularly to the Team Leader and Project Manager.
The Expert will travel to Naypyidaw and the Ayeyarwady Region on a regular basis.
The Agrometeorological Expert’s specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work with DMH and the selected supplier to finalize the procurement and installation of new agro-meteorological stations in agreed locations in the Ayeyarwady Region;
- Work with DMH to improve their existing agro-met database systems as an input and preparatory activity into the project activities on improved agro-meteorological bulletins and advisory products;
- Lead and deliver training for national, region, district and township government staff (DMH, DOA and others) on i) developing improved agro-meteorological bulletins and ii) its participatory translation into advisories for application for agriculture planning purposes;
- Support the piloting of improved forecasts and advisories for use by farmers in crop planning and management in the Ayeyarwady region;
- Support the organization of a study tour for DMH and other relevant Government staff on improved agro-meteorological services and products; and
- Contribute to documentation of methodologies and results of the project.
Candidates should have the following qualifications:
- Have degree in meteorology, hydrology, or related field.
- Have at least 3 years of relevant work experience of working on hydrometeorological forecasting in Myanmar.
- Experience working with DMH and/or having an established network with Government experts is an advantage.
To apply, send a cover memo, updated CV with contact details of two references to Ms. Nguyen Thi Luyen (firstname.lastname@example.org). For more information about ICEM, visit www.icem.com.au.
Applications close on 27 September 2020. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.