Position Title : Risk Communication and Community Engagement Officer
No. of Post : (1) Post
Report to : Operations Manager
Department : Health Department
Project Name : COVID-19 preparedness and response operation
Duty Station : Nay Pyi Taw/ Yangon
Grade : D2
Duration : Six months until end of year 2020
Benefits Packages : Salary + Insurance + Training + Travelling Allowances + Casual Leave + Quarantine Leave + Annual Leave + Medical Certificate Leave +
Maternity Leave + Substituted Leave
Application Deadline : ( 25/ 06/2020), 16:30
Myanmar Red Cross Society (MRCS) is volunteer based humanitarian organization throughout the whole country acting with and for the most vulnerable at all times. Benefit Package consists of Paid Medical, Annual, Casual Leave, Insurance, On-Duty for Training, Provide Accommodation Allowance & Hardship Allowance for specific area, Training and Development Opportunities, Promotion and Management Development.
Background: With the auxiliary role to the government in humanitarian activities by the national law, MRCS has closely coordinated with Ministry of Health and Sports (MOHS) both at national, state/regional, and township levels for the preparedness and response activities of COVID-19 epidemic in the country. MRCS later developed its first emergency plan of action (EPoA) and updated it in April. The plan intends to carry out its preparedness and response activities in all four phases of the epidemic stated in health sector contingency plan as
3- Mitigation and Control
4- Stand Down Phases of COVID-19 epidemic in the country.
The overall operational objective is to fulfil the auxiliary role and mandate of the National Society and contribute to reducing illness and loss of life, while protecting the health, safety, wellbeing and livelihoods of the most vulnerable people, by supporting efforts to contain, slow or suppress transmission of the virus, treating cases, and helping affected communities maintain access to essential health and social services. By responding to the secondary socio-economic impacts, the strategy also looks ahead to early recovery from the crisis.
The main prioritized areas are
1- Health and WASH
2- Addressing Socio-economic impact of the outbreak
3- Strengthening National Society’s institutional capacity
Purpose of the Position: The purpose of the RCCE officer is to provide overall management and to support all RCCE activities of MRCS’ COVID-19 response Operation with the technical guidance from Operation Manager and relevant departments. MRCS has developed and regularly updated its Emergency Plan of Actions for COVID-19 and all the activities need to be in line with framework within this EPoA.
MRCS will reprint/develop and distribute the information, health education and communication (IEC) materials for prevention of COVID-19, including posters, stickers, pamphlets developed by MoHS and WHO. MRCS will distribute the protective guidance and support RCVs with personal protective material if needed. Because of the current situation and MoHS’ guidance, MRCS will do risk communication with proper social distancing (e.g. using speakers for health talks without gathering of people, placing IEC at public places (without doing social interaction), using telecommunication or mass media.
Regular monitoring of the effectiveness and correct understanding & usage of the suggestions of the IEC by the public will also be identified and necessary measures will be done.
Different contexts with COVID-19 have different stigma related issues, false beliefs and knowledge about the COVID-19 and MRCS will address these based on the feedback mechanism inputs from the communities, where a targeted risk communication with specific languages is created. MRCS is closely collaborating with MoHS, WHO and in-country partners for RCCE and regularly reviewing the effectiveness of the RCCE activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Ensure the effective planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of RCCE component of MRCS’ COVID-19 preparedness and response activities within the specified timeframe and budget in accordance with the EPoA.
2. Ensure MRCS’ RCCE activities are carried out in accordance with MoHS’s guidance, IFRC’s technical guidance.
3. Support MRCS’ activities of risk analysis, rumour tracking, stigma prevention, establishing and function of proper feedback mechanisms regarding COVID-19.
4. Support/facilitate MRCS’ different types of online/offline training for RCVs such as ECV (Epidemic control for volunteers), CEA (Community Engagement and Accountability) and other trainings)
5. Ensure integration of cross-cutting issues in all planned activities, such as protection, gender and inclusion.
Coordination and cooperation
6. Ensure effective and close coordination with colleagues from relevent departments of MRCS and leaderships regarding RCCE activities.
7. Maintain good inter and intra coordination with government and non-government stakeholder for smooth implementation of the RCCE activities of the operation.
8. Ensure close coordination with State/ Region and Township Red Cross branches personnel by means of 2-ways communication.
9. Establish close working relations with other Red Cross Movement partners regarding RCCE.
Monitoring and Reporting
10. In close collaboration with PMER officer, ensure the effective and quality monitoring of the RCCE activities in line with MRCS mandates, MoHS health literacy promotion framework for COVID-19 and IFRC guidance.
11. Submit at least monthly situation reports to OM in Myanmar and English versions.
12. Conduct on-site monitoring visits to necessary areas when it is appropriate and if needed.
13. Any other relevant duties assigned by direct supervisor and Health Department.
Skills, Competency and Requirements
· Must be a Myanmar National
· Age between 30 to 60 years
· University Degree (Public Health related degree or basic medical degree)
· Working experience for emergency operations preferably in epidemic preparedness and responses
· Medical or public health knowledge and background
· Knowledge of Project Cycle Management
· Basic knowledge of epidemiology
· Strong skill in report writing with numerical recording detail and ability to meet deadlines
· Excellent Communication Skills, both oral and written and problem solving skill and Facilitation skill
· Ability to work well in a team and dealt with stressful situation
· Excellent command of English and Myanmar especially in translating, including written, spoken and typing